The President’ Award for Youth Empowerment (TPA) is a full member of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award for Young People.
The International Award Foundation oversees the Award Programme in over 140 countries globally, with 25 countries in Africa.
The Programme currently has over a million active participants globally with over two-hundred and fifty thousand of the total participants based on the African Continent.
TPA is a registered non-profit organization (004-920NPO) with Public Benefit Organization status, registered with SARS (PBO#930001329).
TPA celebrates its 35th Anniversary in 2018.
What does TPA do?
TPA creates opportunities for young people to develop character, discover their purpose and determine their future to contribute towards nation building. The Programme provides a framework for non-formal education and has set guiding principles with proven outcomes for participants who complete the Programme.
The Programme delivers the following:
- Targets 14-24 year olds across the socio-economic spectrum – from public and private schools, children’s homes, correctional centres, tertiary institutions etc.
- Creates an experiential learning opportunities to help young people discover talents that do not necessarily show up in the classroom context.
- Brings together practical experiences and life skills, confidence building, encouraging physical health and recreation and motivating participants to engage with their communities.
Participants progress at their own pace through 3-Levels: Bronze, Silver & Gold.
- Bronze – Ages 14+
- Silver – Ages 15+
- Gold – Ages -16+
There are 5-Sections to the Programme that must be done for a specified minimum period of time and for each Level:
- Physical Recreation – Encourages improved performance & physical fitness
- Service – Encourages responsibility to the community
- Skills – Encourage the development of cultural, vocational & practical skills
- Adventurous Journey – Cultivates a spirit of adventure and discovery; an understanding of the environment and the importance of team work and common purpose
- A Residential Project – Gold Level Only – Broadens their experience through living & working with others over a 5-consecutive day period. An experience outside a participant’s ecosystem.
To begin the Programme, each participant reflects upon their interests, abilities and ambitions as they set themselves challenges through the 5-Sections of the Programme. The participants are teamed with adult Volunteer Award Leaders as they begin with award journey.
More than 600 adult volunteers are actively involved in mentoring young people that are on the TPA Programme.
The TPA Programme is designed to reward perseverance and inspire individual action through challenging but non-competitive activities.
On achieving an Award, participants would have developed many skills, behaviours and attitudes that equip them to succeed in life, work and society.
Outcomes for Participants on the Programme
The Programme is the most inclusive youth development programme in SA.
Outcomes for Participants:
- Managing Feelings
- Resilience & Determination
- Relationship & Leadership
- Creativity & Adaptability
- Planning and Problem Solving
- Civic Competence
- Personal & Social Well-Being
- Improved Educational Attainment
- Improved Employability & Sustainable Lively-hoods
- Improved Heath & Well-Being
- Increased Participation in Civic Life
- Social Inclusion
- The Environment
- Gender Equality & Empowerment of Women
- Reduction & Prevention of violence, Conflict, Resolution & Peace-Building
- Reduced Reoffending Rates